Dentures are removable oral appliances designed to replace missing teeth and surrounding tissues. They are a popular option for individuals who have lost some or all of their teeth due to decay, injury, or other conditions. Dentures can improve a patient’s oral function, appearance, and self-confidence. This article will discuss the different types of dentures, their benefits, and what to expect during the denture fitting process.
The proficient team at Castle Valley Dental of Castle Rock, CO, proudly offers premium dental services, including restoring and repairing your smile and oral structure to enjoy daily activities.
Types of Dentures
There are various types of dentures, including:
Partial dentures are used when one or more teeth are missing, but some natural teeth remain in the mouth. They consist of replacement teeth attached to a plastic base that matches the color of the gums. Metal clasps attach to nearby teeth and hold partial dentures in place.
Complete dentures are used when all teeth are missing, and the gums and jawbone have healed after extraction. They consist of a flesh-colored acrylic base covering the mouth’s gums and roof. The upper denture covers the palate, while the lower denture is horseshoe-shaped to accommodate the tongue. Complete dentures can be held in place with denture adhesive or attached to dental implants.
Implant-supported dentures are similar to traditional dentures but are anchored in place by dental implants. Dental implants are artificial tooth roots placed into the jawbone to support a dental prosthesis. Implant-supported dentures can improve stability and chewing function compared to traditional dentures.
The process of getting dentures typically involves several appointments with your dentist. Here’s what you can expect:
- Initial Consultation: During your first appointment, your dentist will examine your mouth and take impressions of your teeth and gums. This information will be used to create your custom dentures.
- Wax Try-In: Once your dentures are designed, your dentist will create a wax model for you to try on. This allows you to see how your dentures will fit and make any necessary adjustments.
- Final Fitting: Once your dentures are complete, you will have a final fitting to ensure they fit correctly and comfortably.
- Follow-Up Appointments: Your dentist may schedule follow-up appointments to check on your dentures and make any necessary adjustments.
Caring for Your Dentures
Proper care of your dentures is essential to maintaining their appearance and functionality. Here are some tips for caring for your dentures:
- Brush your dentures daily with a soft-bristled toothbrush and denture cleaner.
- Rinse your dentures after meals to remove any food particles.
- Store your dentures in water or denture solution when not worn.
- Avoid using hot water, bleach, or abrasive cleaners on your dentures.
- Remove your dentures at night to allow your gums to rest.
In addition to the above aftercare instructions, it is vital to have regular check-ups and consultations with your dental team to ensure that you are progressing and healing correctly.
Your Quality Trusted Dentist
Dentures can be an excellent option for people who are missing teeth. They are designed to restore your smile and improve your quality of life. Dentures can provide you with years of beautiful and functional smiles with proper care and maintenance. If you are considering dentures, talk to your dentist to determine if they are the right option. During your next consultation with a confident team at Castle Valley Dental of Castle Rock, CO, you can be sure you are obtaining the best care and guidance you deserve.