If you have recently gotten braces in Castle Rock, CO, there are certain foods you must avoid. However, what many people don’t realize is that some of those forbidden foods can be modified so they can still be eaten.
Foods You Must Avoid If You Have Braces
Below are some of the foods you will, unfortunately, have to avoid while you are wearing braces. These are the foods that can’t be modified. This is because the nature of these foods has the potential to damage your teeth, gums, or your overall oral health if you eat them while you have braces.
- Nuts – Nuts are hard and eating them could cause you to break or bend the wires and brackets on your braces.
- Corn on the Cob – Corn on the cob is notorious for damaging and bending the wires on braces. It will also cause the brackets to come off your teeth.
- Popcorn – Popcorn kernels could get stuck in your gums. If this happens, your dentist will have to remove the brackets and clean your teeth.
- Sticky and Hard Candies – Sticky and hard candies will break the brackets off your teeth or move the wires, causing them to become uncomfortable.
- Chewing Gum – Chewing gum is extremely sticky and will get stuck in the brackets and wires dislodging them.
Foods That Can be Modified So You Can Still Eat Them if You Have Braces
Now these are the foods your dentist in Castle Rock, CO will tell you can be modified so you can eat them even if you have braces. However, you must still be extremely careful when doing so.
- Fruits – Hard raw fruits such as apples, pears, peaches, etc. can’t be eaten in their original form if you have braces. However, you can chop them into small bite-sized pieces so you can eat them.
- Meats – Meat is fibrous, making it harder to chew. However, if you cut the meat into small pieces and chew it with the back of your teeth, you can still eat those meats even if you have braces.
- Cheeses – Just like meat, cheeses can be cut up into small pieces and eaten even if you have braces.
- Vegetables – Hard raw vegetables can also be cut into small pieces and if you chew them with your back teeth, you should still be able to enjoy them even if you have braces.
And if you don’t want to cut up these foods, you could simply prepare them in different ways. For example, by making applesauce, cobbler, melting the cheese, etc., so you can still enjoy them even though you have braces.
If you need braces in Castle Rock, CO, please Contact Castle Valley Dental today. We are committed to helping achieve the perfect smile.