Are you considering dental crowns in Castle Rock, CO? If so, it can be helpful to know about this tooth restoration treatment in advance. Take a look at a few questions curious patients tend to have about dental crowns.
What are dental crowns made of?
Dental crowns are fabricated from a variety of materials, each with its own advantages and disadvantages. The type of material used will depend on the patient’s needs and preferences, as well as the dentist’s recommendations. Dental crowns can be made of different materials, including:
- Porcelain crowns are strong and durable, and they can be made to look natural. However, they can be more expensive than other crowns.
- Gold crowns are also quite durable, but they are not as natural-looking as porcelain crowns. Gold crowns are also more costly.
- Metal alloys are a less expensive option than porcelain or gold crowns, but they are not as strong or durable and not natural-looking.
- Ceramic crowns are made from a blend of ceramic and metal, are strong and durable, and can look natural. However, but can be more costly than composite crowns.
- Composite resin crowns are the least expensive type of crown and can look natural, but they are also the least durable.
How much tooth is required to get a crown?
The tooth may need extensive repair before a crown can be placed. For example, you may need a root canal before the crown can be placed on the tooth. However, a tooth can be extensively damaged and still be suitable for crown restoration. The general rule with most dentists is there must be at least a few millimeters of natural tooth remaining above the gum line for a crown to work.
Are there any disadvantages to dental crowns?
All dental treatments can come along with advantages and disadvantages. There are only a few downfalls to consider with dental crowns, however. For most patients, the only major downfall is the cost because this level of restoration dentistry may not always be covered by dental insurance.
Reach Out to a Castle Rock, CO Dentist for Advice
Dental crowns have grown to be the gold standard for tooth restoration in modern dentistry. If you are looking for a Castle Rock dentist to help you obtain dental crowns, reach out to Castle Valley Dental to schedule a consultation.